Following are few reasons why you need video SEO know-how, before you upload a video on the net and wait for the users to access it. If you are advertising your product on a hording, would you choose a dead-end ally at the periphery of the targeted area or the main square of the city to place it. If your objective is to make your product visible to the users, then it is obvious what your decision will be because you know, not that many people visit a dead ended ally on purpose. Uploading a video on the internet without following tips to ensure its visibility or the accessibility to the interested internet users is like putting your video at dead-end ally of the internet. When someone searches for a thing on the internet by inputting a phrase say video SEO tips, usually he or she gets served by the search engine with literally, thousands of websites which contains this phrase. The search engine thinks that the presence of the phrase, ‘video SEO tips’ in a text based web page is an assurance of the presence of the related information about how to use SEO (Search Engine Optimization) techniques, in this case. But not so with the videos; the search engine is unable to read the video format and must depend on some of the keywords or the text, which you must provide with it, which helps it to know about your online video and rank it. Let us say you are video marketing, for $10, a ride to the moon on a spaceship that uses a hyper-tube to complete the travel in 30 minutes. As has been said, search engine cannot read video picture frames, and fails to understand that you are offering one hell of a bargain for the internet users.
Best Practices and Tips for Video SEO
If you magnify the effect of handicap of search engines in reading video format by not appropriately supporting your video with the use of good SEO, it will never be ranked on the fold. Fold is part of the web page where one can read about the result of searches without scrolling. One can use video SEO to great effect in order to attract traffic to the website or to propagate the video among the internet users.
Deciding whether your goal is to obtain views for your video or to increase search referrals for your website which will ultimately, help in increasing its raking is of utmost importance. Getting this point clarified will help you in deciding where to upload your video.
- Views for Video (Viral): If you want your video to go viral (propagate) among internet users then, uploading it on the video sharing websites, such as YouTube, is a far better option. Because of the assured traffic on these sites the chances of your video being accessed are far higher than if it is uploaded on your site. You can take help of a video submission software or use video upload services to submit you video to the major video sharing websites.
- Ranking: If you are in earnest to highlight your website by increasing website traffic through your video then submitting your video to other websites will be nothing short of hara-kiri. When a user searches for something, he naturally picks a well-known website from the results of the search, so even though he is going to watch your video, the chances of your coming out to be a loser are high. Load your video on your own website and nowhere else which is a help in website promotion. Prepare a document called site-map which will tell the search engine about the videos, thumbnail images, titles and description of your video. Search engine will use this information to index your video which will go a long way in ranking it.
Few Other Video SEO Pointers
It is essential to provide the video with description. If it is needed, you can take help of professional transcription services which can use narration in the video to come up with text for the video.
- Title: Title of the video must be based on the targeted keywords. Research for finding these much required keywords can be done for your video as if it is a text based file.
- URL: Optimizing URL of the video is one of the video SEO best practices and it can produce desired results. You can do so by including the title of the video in it. URL is nothing but the address of the video file on your website. It is the path that search engine must follow in order to locate and retrieve your file.
- Keep it Short: Know that attention span of an internet user is short, if your video is longer than 10 minutes then it is good idea to edit it, unless it is very catchy.
- Spread the Word and Video: After uploading the video on the internet, it is essential to let the netizens know where to find it. It can be done by spreading word about it through (blogs, communities, friends, employees and forums) or by undertaking inexpensive advertising campaigns. One can make available links to it on social media such as Facebook and Twitter so that it is easy to download.
The volume of videos being uploaded on the internet is tremendous. If one wants to increase the visibility and accessibility of his or her video, it can be done by using video SEO. As yet, majority of videos uploaded are not optimized that well. It is a fact one can use to his or her benefit by hiring services, if needed.